Thermostat preferences?

Moderators: freelander02, anderstd

Frobisher
RoverBaron

Thermostat preferences?

Post by Frobisher » Wed May 14, 2014 3:18 pm

Whilst flushing my radiator this weekend in the hopes of improving it's cooling ability, I'm planning to install a new thermostat as well. Anyone have any preferences? Autozone's Duralast is easy for me to get, but I've also seen the Stant Superstat highly recommended. Rovers North or Atlantic British instead? Opening temperature at 180º F seems to be advised as the equivalent to a fully-opened at 88º C, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks.
Greg

RaithRover
Knight of the Green Oval

Re: Thermostat preferences?

Post by RaithRover » Thu May 15, 2014 8:21 am

I went for the 180 degree version from Lucky 8. Cant remember the make though and it did make a huge difference.
I'd rather push my land Rover than drive a J**p!!

disco2newb
RoverViscount

Post by disco2newb » Thu May 15, 2014 9:16 am

I stayed stock on mine, I like to think I got slightly better mpg because of that but who knows.
Mark G
2001 Disco II SE - a work in progress

dcarr1971
RoverViscount

Post by dcarr1971 » Thu May 15, 2014 10:51 am

My D2 has a 180* t-stat (I believe the Mfr was either Motorad or Federal Mugul). Swapping it in to replace the stock (195*) t-stat resulted in everything sunning cooler.

My D1 hasn't had a t-stat at all for several years. It runs nice and cool, getting ~15-16 mpg on 235/85 tires.
Dave C
1999 Disco 2 <-- Not leaking, just marking my driveway as its own since June 2010!
1996 Disco 1 <-- Crazy Red

Frobisher
RoverBaron

Post by Frobisher » Mon May 19, 2014 11:04 am

Thanks for all the advice. It sounds like there really isn't a consensus on what to put in a 20 year old truck. I'm most likely going to put a 180º in when I get around to it. For now, I'm seeing if a flush alone makes any change.
Greg

Frobisher
RoverBaron

Post by Frobisher » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:51 pm

I'm picking up a rebuilt OME radiator from Randy at British Boneyard this weekend, so I'm hoping to get my rover to cool down. ($250 for those interested. Seems like a good deal.) Since I'll have it apart, I'm replacing the thermostat as you guys have recommended elsewhere. I have a 180º Duralast from Autozone, and I'm considering using the blue paper gasket material for both the thermostat and possibly the water jacket/throttle body heater in the hopes of closing some possible leaks. Slap a little Hylomar Universal Blue on both sides of the paper to seal it up. Any red flags on any of this?

Thanks.
Greg

dcarr1971
RoverViscount

Post by dcarr1971 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:55 pm

I've used the paper gaskets a few times as you've described, and I've simply used Right Stuff other times (without the paper gasket). The paper gasket doesn't really seem to make much difference with the water pump...
Dave C
1999 Disco 2 <-- Not leaking, just marking my driveway as its own since June 2010!
1996 Disco 1 <-- Crazy Red

Frobisher
RoverBaron

Post by Frobisher » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:26 pm

I'm currently on the fence. Mike was saying just go with Hylomar. Others have said paper plus a little Hylomar smeared on both sides. It seems like the paper affords a little insurance for less than precise fits.

Thanks for your tip. It seems like I can't go wrong either way, and the H alone is certainly easy enough. I just don't want to open it up again for at least a while.
Greg

jagspeed
RoverViscount

Post by jagspeed » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:14 pm

Hylomar by itself only works when parts fit up perfectly. When in doubt, use a real gasket. They're cheap; it's false economy to attempt not using them...
Sir Harold, Lord Jagspeed

I know how to operate a vehicle

Frobisher
RoverBaron

Post by Frobisher » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:12 pm

The extra bit of gasket does seem like a good deal and so easy to deal with. Alas, at this point, I'm in a holding pattern as I sheared the head off the first bolt on the thermostat cover. It still seemed quite tight, so I buttoned everything back up and proceeded to install the rebuilt radiator.

A little fanagling and some homespun fabrication and it was all in and filled up to go. Then, no starting. I don't know if I got something wet or bumped a wire when I had the distributor pulled back or what. A small puff of smoke near the coil is all anybody saw at start-up, and now it won't start up.

I'm farther ahead than I was, but Im still stalled in my tracks.
Greg