proportioning valve leaves me divided

Moderators: freelander02, anderstd

Frobisher
RoverBaron

proportioning valve leaves me divided

Post by Frobisher » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:31 pm

It looks like I'm up for a proportioning valve for the brakes now that everything else seems to be working. Any best source for such a thing in case I need to get one? Rovers North, Amazon, other? I'm learning a lot more than I wanted to know this soon, if you get me. Thanks.
Greg

dcarr1971
RoverViscount

Re: proportioning valve leaves me divided

Post by dcarr1971 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:18 pm

I've never had to replace one of these (yet), so maybe Mark or harold will be able to offer insight into which brands are better and who can give you the best prices....
Dave C
1997 Disco 1 LE <- Stock (?!?) because it may need a block
1999 Disco 2 <-- Not leaking, just marking my driveway as its own since June 2010!
1996 Disco 1 <-- Crazy Red (sold) :cry:

jagspeed
RoverViscount

Post by jagspeed » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:48 pm

I have also never seen one fail, and given the size of the brakes and the weight distribution of the Disco, I question whether a proportioning valve is necessary...
Sir Harold, Lord Jagspeed

I know how to operate a vehicle

Frobisher
RoverBaron

Post by Frobisher » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:24 pm

At the risk of being premature, here's the update on the proportioning valve from my mechanic. First off, it's not the part mounted on the left wing with the brake lines coming out. It's actually some sort of valve with an O ring underneath the truck. Having rebuilt it and failing again, my guy talked with some other mechanics about bypassing it. These guys had done this work on older GM cars, and mechanically it all appeared to be the same set-up, so off we go with the bypass.

Assuming all that works, now it's on to the brakelines which began to leak near the left rear. Rather than trying to play whack-a-mole with leaks here and there, he's putting new tubing all-around for the brakes. His opinion of Rover brakeline engineering is not favorable at this point; it's no wonder there's 54 feet of line in there. (Thanks to Harold on that fact.) Suffice to say, I'll have all new brake lines (and ss extended flex lines thanks to Mike H.) maybe by early next week.

The other news is I'll be on to installing new fuel lines, as they're most likely the next thing to go. I stumbled across Danny Lee 97 Disco (current/past FPLRG member) in cyber history and all his write-ups about the replacement work he'd done a while back. I'll likely follow in his tracks on this one, but I'll save that for another post.
Greg

series guy
Prime Minister

Post by series guy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:42 pm

Following Danny Lee's path may not be the best idea. But it may win you the $10000 grand prize if you record it.
Diesel powered engines and parabolic leaf springs. These are a few of my favorite things.

jagspeed
RoverViscount

Post by jagspeed » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:20 am

I'm having trouble remembering the particular history with Danny Lee's truck.

Perhaps I've chosen to block it out...
Sir Harold, Lord Jagspeed

I know how to operate a vehicle

Frobisher
RoverBaron

Post by Frobisher » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:21 am

I have a bad feeling about this.
Greg