D1 replacement radiator

Moderators: freelander02, anderstd

series guy
Prime Minister

Re: D1 replacement radiator

Post by series guy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:37 pm

Let's think about this. The truck has made it through life for 19 years with a standard thermostat. Now you want to install a cooler one. You're not fixing the problem you're treating the symptoms.
Diesel powered engines and parabolic leaf springs. These are a few of my favorite things.

Frobisher
RoverBaron

Post by Frobisher » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:22 am

Good point. I'm not necessarily wanting to do it; it was a suggestion made by a non-Rover guy. Thanks for the reminder about fixing the problem not the symptom. My plan is still to check the throttle body heater for leakage, which really sounds right based on what I've been reading and smelling. Then, replace with the specified t-stat and hope that solves it. We'll see.
Greg

jagspeed
RoverViscount

Post by jagspeed » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:42 pm

Frobisher wrote:I have a little better idea where to look now that I've tried finding the throttle body heater Mark suggested. There's very little mention of these for the D1; online repairs mostly seem to be for the D2. I can't even find it in the Haynes book and I've yet to search the RAVE for it. If any of you guys could send me a picture of what exactly it looks like, that would be great.
If you look at the front side of the throttle body, you will see the breather hose leading from the right-hand valve cover.
Directly below this hose is a pair of smaller hoses, one leading to the far side of the radiator, and the other running almost straight down to the intake manifold. The plate that these hoses connect to is the throttle body heater. There is a gasket between the heater plate and the underside of the throttle body, and if this gasket fails, it leaks coolant. Check the hoses too, as I have often found leaks where at the connection to the intake manifold. It's hard to spot, and a slow leak there can travel in either direction, and the resulting drip can be quite misleading as to its source.
Sir Harold, Lord Jagspeed

I know how to operate a vehicle

Frobisher
RoverBaron

Post by Frobisher » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:51 pm

For those following, here's the rest of the story.

I picked up a used rover radiator from Randy at British Boneyard in very nice shape. Replaced the thermostat with a Duralast 180º and fitted a new gasket (GM water pump gasket), and all is well. Drove it hard and no overheating and no leaking that I can see. I'm still checking on that, but so far, so good. Thanks for all the help.
Greg

dcarr1971
RoverViscount

Post by dcarr1971 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:44 am

Excellent!
Dave C
1997 Disco 1 LE <- Stock (?!?) because it may need a block
1999 Disco 2 <-- Not leaking, just marking my driveway as its own since June 2010!
1996 Disco 1 <-- Crazy Red (sold) :cry: