He's dead, Jim! (Disco won't crank)

Moderators: freelander02, anderstd

jagspeed
RoverViscount

Re: He's dead, Jim! (Disco won't crank)

Post by jagspeed » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:15 pm

It could be the relay, but I doubt it. They just don't fail as often as the solenoid, but when they do, it's consistent failure, regardless of engine temperature.
Sir Harold, Lord Jagspeed

I know how to operate a vehicle

Harv
Knight of the Green Oval

Post by Harv » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:17 pm

Got it. I'll just order a used OEM starter then.
'95 D1
'97 D1

Frobisher
RoverBaron

Post by Frobisher » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:34 pm

The starter I just had installed fires up really nicely. It's a different sound from the original, but it's way more zippy. So far, so good. The leaking oil really did a number on the old starter. I might need to look at that seal when the weather gets warmer...
Greg

Harv
Knight of the Green Oval

Post by Harv » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:13 pm

Just to tie a bow on this.

Put on a used OEM starter. Everything is so far, so good.
'95 D1
'97 D1

Harv
Knight of the Green Oval

Post by Harv » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:19 am

Take the bow off, throw it in the trash..

Haven't really been driving this truck since I put the new starter on. Just starting it every so often and a few trips around the block to keep everything moving. Took it out for a long run today to do some errands. Ran fine then came home and parked it.

Went outside tonight to move it and turn the key and get a 'KNOCK' from the area down by the starter. Everytime I turn the key it's just a single knock sound. This is different from the problem before where I'd turn the key and get no sounds.

Any ideas? Another starter toast?
'95 D1
'97 D1

series guy
Prime Minister

Post by series guy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:47 am

You replaced a used starter with another used starter. They don't fail all that often but you may be on a roll here. Funny how this stuff never happens when it's 70 degrees out and you're standing there thinking "what can I do to my truck today?"
Diesel powered engines and parabolic leaf springs. These are a few of my favorite things.

Frobisher
RoverBaron

Post by Frobisher » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:00 pm

Agreed on the used assessment. If your starter is marginal, this weather definitely is the proving ground. I used to be nervous when it got cold, but with the aftermarket one I put in several weeks back, I've been absolutely golden. Even today at 0 degrees, it fired right up. And I even have 10w40 Dino oil in there.

For the $60, it was totally worth it.
Greg

Harv
Knight of the Green Oval

Post by Harv » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:00 pm

I'll put a used OEM part on over a new part with questionable build status and origin any day.

The new used starter I put on couldn't of been in better shape.

Something is killing these. Coolant is seeping off the back of the block and landing on it, but I can't imagine it's that much.
'95 D1
'97 D1

Frobisher
RoverBaron

Post by Frobisher » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:05 pm

My old one was so covered with oil and coolant from a leak I haven't tracked down, that it probably fried itself. Maybe that's your problem as well. Tough one to fix from what I've seen.
Greg

series guy
Prime Minister

Post by series guy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:32 pm

If the one you removed was decent quality you could take it to a shop and have it rebuilt. The shop I use is in New Castle but it's well worth the drive as their work is excellent and there's a BBQ joint in the front of their parking lot. Win Win in my book. Don't forget that the day before your original starter died you would have said that it was a quality used componet.
Diesel powered engines and parabolic leaf springs. These are a few of my favorite things.

dcarr1971
RoverViscount

Post by dcarr1971 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:29 am

series guy wrote:If the one you removed was decent quality you could take it to a shop and have it rebuilt. The shop I use is in New Castle but it's well worth the drive as their work is excellent and there's a BBQ joint in the front of their parking lot. Win Win in my book. Don't forget that the day before your original starter died you would have said that it was a quality used componet.
X2 on having it rebuilt by a decent shop, but I think I mentioned that earlier.

If you're in the South Hills, or west of the city, there is also a place on Rt 65 in Bellvue that is supposed to be pretty good. Further south, I know of one in Washington PA too, but I've never used them (yet). I hear they're good though..
Dave C
1997 Disco 1 LE <- Stock (?!?) because it may need a block
1999 Disco 2 <-- Not leaking, just marking my driveway as its own since June 2010!
1996 Disco 1 <-- Crazy Red (sold) :cry:

Harv
Knight of the Green Oval

Post by Harv » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:23 pm

I'm in the deep south, Fayette.

The OEM starter I put on there was already remaned once. It's cheaper for me to just buy another one than drive 200 miles to take it to get rebuilt.

I got the truck started via the bang and crank method. Of course it turns over fine now everytime I try it. I think there's just a dead spot in it.
'95 D1
'97 D1

dcarr1971
RoverViscount

Post by dcarr1971 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:16 pm

Harv wrote:I'm in the deep south, Fayette.

The OEM starter I put on there was already remaned once. It's cheaper for me to just buy another one than drive 200 miles to take it to get rebuilt.

I got the truck started via the bang and crank method. Of course it turns over fine now everytime I try it. I think there's just a dead spot in it.
Yeah...been there. I feel your pain. I nursed my last one along like that for over a year just because I had so much other stuff going on...
Dave C
1997 Disco 1 LE <- Stock (?!?) because it may need a block
1999 Disco 2 <-- Not leaking, just marking my driveway as its own since June 2010!
1996 Disco 1 <-- Crazy Red (sold) :cry: