Tyres

Moderators: freelander02, anderstd

CassRacing
Yeoman

Tyres

Post by CassRacing » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:02 pm

Hello chaps and ladies!

I was watching the Camel Trophy Land Rover Years youtube video (as I know all of you have as well), and I noticed that the Discoveries used very narrow tyres!

Was that just simply how offroading tyres were back then, or was there a purpose? Just curious really.

Thank you!

series guy
Prime Minister

Re: Tyres

Post by series guy » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:14 pm

Tall skinnies are just better 90% of the time. No other reason.
Diesel powered engines and parabolic leaf springs. These are a few of my favorite things.

CassRacing
Yeoman

Post by CassRacing » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:50 am

Really? Ok so let me ask you this: why does everyone put huge, wide monster truck tyres on there Discos?

series guy
Prime Minister

Post by series guy » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:00 am

Why does everybody buy Ford trucks?popular isn't usually right.
Diesel powered engines and parabolic leaf springs. These are a few of my favorite things.

CassRacing
Yeoman

Post by CassRacing » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:20 am

Hahahaha, I love it! Personally, I always liked narrower tyres on any car. But why do the narrower, taller tyres work better in the case of the Disco?

Frobisher
RoverBaron

Post by Frobisher » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:25 pm

I've found this to be good reading on the topic of tire width. I think 235 might be the new skinny, but I still like the idea of 215. Apparently, though, your steering assembly better be in good nick or it might feel a little squirrelly. Personally, I'm looking at either 215/85 or 235/75 for my D1.

http://www.expeditionswest.com/research ... _rev1.html
Greg

jagspeed
RoverViscount

Post by jagspeed » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:08 pm

CassRacing wrote:Really? Ok so let me ask you this: why does everyone put huge, wide monster truck tyres on there Discos?
To compensate for other shortcomings of a more, um, personal nature.
Sir Harold, Lord Jagspeed

I know how to operate a vehicle

dcarr1971
RoverViscount

Post by dcarr1971 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:50 pm

Hmmm...Sounds like a solid topic for debate during the Centre Steer Podcast.

It all depends on what you use the vehicle for.

There are two schools of thought on the wide tire vs. skinny tire debate. Wide tire people usually try to argue that they're trying to stay on top of whatever muck they're trying to navigate through. Skinny tire people say they want to get down to the solid ground underneath the muck.

Now, I could be wrong, but I thought I'd heard somewhere that the Discos in the Camel Trophy events ran 235/85s? Generally those qualify as "tall, skinny" tires in most places when you're talking about a vehicle the size of an of the Discovery line. (That's the size I have on my D1, and I think it's pretty ideal for that truck.)

If your truck rarely leaves the pavement, or gravel side tracks, then I fully agree with Mark and Harold, that the smaller tires are more than adequate. If you're heading off into the great unknown on logging trails, bogs, or even nice soft farm fields though, a bigger (but still relatively skinny) tire is probably a better choice.

The advantages to a skinny tire is that they are cheaper, and you focus the weight of the vehicle onto a smaller area, and will quickly dig down to (hopefully) something that will give you enough traction to keep moving. The disadvantage is that a smaller tire is usually also a shorter tire, and thus it doesn't give you the advantage of additional ground clearance under your diffs. This lack of ground clearance is exacerbated by the fact that if you air down to gain more traction, you offset that gain by losing even more ground clearance.

On my D2 I'm running a 255/85r16 tire, that still works out to be tall and skinny (relatively speaking), but it gives me the freedom to air down to take advantage of the wider tread pattern, and still maintain greater ground clearance under my diffs and axle housings than a fully inflated 235/85 or 265/75 tire would. Other folks that I know with D2s running even wider tires (e.g.- 285/75r16, etc) don't even bother to air down...

I'm really on the fence about which way I'll go with my next set of tires. Personally, given how I use my D2 offroading, and in wet fields here on the farm, it may make sense for me to go to a 285/75, but I don't like the idea of all the rubbing I'd incur at full lock on the steering.

Just as important as the size, is the type of tire itself. Again, it comes down to what you use the vehicle for, but for a vehicle like a Disco you have street tires, All-terrain (AT), and Mud-Terrain (MT). (Yeah, I know...lumping all street tires together isn't fair, but the differences between street tires aren't as pronounced as the differences between then and other types I've noted above.) This is really food for a whole other discussion thread though...
;-)
Dave C
1997 Disco 1 LE <- Stock (?!?) because it may need a block
1999 Disco 2 <-- Not leaking, just marking my driveway as its own since June 2010!
1996 Disco 1 <-- Crazy Red (sold) :cry:

dcarr1971
RoverViscount

Post by dcarr1971 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:01 pm

jagspeed wrote:
CassRacing wrote:Really? Ok so let me ask you this: why does everyone put huge, wide monster truck tyres on there Discos?
To compensate for other shortcomings of a more, um, personal nature.
Harold, I'll let you relay that to the guys with the really wide tires. LOL.

Nigel, The big wide tires generally don't need to be aired down as much, or at all, when you're out offroading. You get the advantage of a wide contact patch, the ground clearance of a taller tire, and you don't have to worry about tearing up your sidewalls as much, or rolling the tires off the bead. Also, you don't have to fool around with airing back up (and burning up an air compressor like I did the last time we were out last January).

I'd recommend a 235/85r16 for your D2 unless you're going to put some kind of lift on it. I ran that on my D2 when it was stock, and it was a very nice skinny tire, that at 31.7" was just a little taller than the stock size. It didn't rub or have any real downside that I could ever tell, but with an AT tire, it did allow me to get offroad and have some fun without constantly getting stuck.
Dave C
1997 Disco 1 LE <- Stock (?!?) because it may need a block
1999 Disco 2 <-- Not leaking, just marking my driveway as its own since June 2010!
1996 Disco 1 <-- Crazy Red (sold) :cry: