Turning into a crazy cat person.. Have to save them all!

Moderators: freelander02, anderstd

Harv
Knight of the Green Oval

Re: Turning into a crazy cat person.. Have to save them all!

Post by Harv » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:02 pm

Have the say that Moyers in Youngwood did an outstanding job fixing the radiator. It's almost like new. They even took the time to paint it, which I really didn't ask for, but hey.

Put the radiator, a new fan clutch, and the clear coolant overfloor tank in today. Everything is holding great. Found some other small hoses that need replaced that I'll put on the list. Other than the that, it's now on to the suspension to see whats so loose. I really hope it's not the steering box itself.
'95 D1
'97 D1

dcarr1971
RoverViscount

Post by dcarr1971 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:07 am

I'll have to keep Moyers in mind. My '96 D1 is a 5 speed, so its radiator is different...at this point manual transmission radiators for D1s are pretty much un-obtainium, so if they can rebuild them I'll need to make friends with them.

What kind of shape is the steering stabilizer in? I've found that replacing that can make surprisingly huge difference in how the truck handles. If your power steering works and isn't leaking I can't imagine the steering box actually being loose, but you'll want to check it out to be sure...especially the nut holding the pitman(?) arm on. For obvious reasons you really don't want that coming loose.

I've had some other flaky suspension clunking for a while myself. It can be tough to troubleshoot by yourself when you only hear it while driving. On my D1 I discovered a broken upper shock mount. On my D2 I think my TerraFirma 3" HD springs just shift around periodically because the truck leans in turns (no sway bars). I've gone over everything and it is all tight, so after worrying for the first 20k miles that the sound popped up, now I don't get too excited...
Dave C
1997 Disco 1 LE <- Stock (?!?) because it may need a block
1999 Disco 2 <-- Not leaking, just marking my driveway as its own since June 2010!
1996 Disco 1 <-- Crazy Red (sold) :cry:

Harv
Knight of the Green Oval

Post by Harv » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:43 am

dcarr1971 wrote:I'll have to keep Moyers in mind. My '96 D1 is a 5 speed, so its radiator is different...at this point manual transmission radiators for D1s are pretty much un-obtainium, so if they can rebuild them I'll need to make friends with them.
From the sounds of what the guy told me, he can rebuild pretty much anything as long as it's not corroded to the point where the fins are disintegrated. But even then he takes out the rows that are bad and just 'caps' them off. He said he rebuilds radiators for guys who build demo-derby cars and some of them come in with holes big enough to put your fist through and he fixes them no problem.

dcarr1971 wrote:What kind of shape is the steering stabilizer in? I've found that replacing that can make surprisingly huge difference in how the truck handles. If your power steering works and isn't leaking I can't imagine the steering box actually being loose, but you'll want to check it out to be sure...especially the nut holding the pitman(?) arm on. For obvious reasons you really don't want that coming loose.
I think it's something either in the box or the steering shaft itself. I can reach in there and grab the shaft and wiggle it back and forth with little effort from my hand. It has a ton of play in it. I go over to my 97 and grab the shaft and try to move it and it doesn't wiggle at all. I've heard of guys having loose bolts in there that causes that.

The steering stabilizer looks original but it's going to get replaced. I had a little death wobble on my 97 and I replaced that with an upgraded unit and it's been smooth ever since.
'95 D1
'97 D1

Harv
Knight of the Green Oval

Post by Harv » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:19 am

Got up early and fired up the buffer before it got too hot.. Turns out ok for just a quick job.

Before, old 20 year old faded paint

After

'95 D1
'97 D1

freelander02
Minister of Extracurricluar Affairs

Post by freelander02 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:21 pm

Nice buffing.
John
1987 110 (Defender)
1980 Series III 109 ex-MoD FFR
2001 Discovery II (retired)
2002 Freelander SE (retired)

"I know how to drive."

dcarr1971
RoverViscount

Post by dcarr1971 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:05 am

Very nice. I love this color on the Discos. The guy I bought 'Crazy Red' from had recently buffed it, and it still looks great (if you overlook the body damage and the rotted out floors).

I looked at a D2 a few weeks back in Greensburg that was this color in the hopes of grabbing one, but the owner wanted about $750 more than it was worth. It might have been worth $500 unless you were buying it just to part it...even then, the Red was so rare that the market for the body would be limited. Anyway, he wanted $1250. The frame was rotted worse than just about any D2 frame I've ever seen, and it had a slipped liner, plus all the usual little stuff that fails on D2s...

(I was looking at it for Randy too...it was so bad that even with the prospect of spending someone else's money I really felt good about walking away from that one.)
Dave C
1997 Disco 1 LE <- Stock (?!?) because it may need a block
1999 Disco 2 <-- Not leaking, just marking my driveway as its own since June 2010!
1996 Disco 1 <-- Crazy Red (sold) :cry:

Harv
Knight of the Green Oval

Post by Harv » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:20 pm

After a short stay at the wonderful Jagspeed Motorworks, the steering is tight and the ignition turns nice and easy now. I've also found out that my key to my '97 will now start it as well.

On to the next project of fixing the radio reception. When I bought the truck the antenna mount on the fender was just a dark hole with a piece of tape over it. Radio reception was ok, but it was often just cut out to nothing on my normal route to work so I couldn't hear anything. Not a huge deal with music, but I listen to talk radio most of the time so I'd miss large pieces of conversations.

Tried digging the wire out with a coat hanger but that wasn't going to happen. Then maybe thought I could unbolt the top of the fender and pry it back, but found out the fender was not only bolted on but glued as well. Wasn't fighting that. Quickly moved to pulling the inner fender. The inside of the fender was crumbling bad so the majority of the time I was just getting covered in rusty debris and dirt.

Found out that you can't disconnect the antenna from the wire and you must replace the whole unit, so the glovebox and lower piece had to be removed as well. Thank god you can connect the wire to the headunit under the dash and not on the back of the radio itself. Then I had pull the wire from the inside the fender, through the fender, through the firewall, and through all the jungles of other wires in the dash. Quick call to AB for a new antenna and I buttoned everything back up.

This is what I was left with.

Putting the antenna back in shouldn't be too much of an issue until I get to the dash. I'm thinking of routing it straight out towards the glovebox for a better route because snaking it back near the firewall will be impossible.
'95 D1
'97 D1

jagspeed
RoverViscount

Post by jagspeed » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:50 pm

I suspect a number of keys will now start your truck...
Sir Harold, Lord Jagspeed

I know how to operate a vehicle

Frobisher
RoverBaron

Post by Frobisher » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:04 pm

My school classroom key can start my truck. Talk about British convenience.
Greg

jagspeed
RoverViscount

Post by jagspeed » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:51 am

My brother once drove my Triumph using a mailbox key...
Sir Harold, Lord Jagspeed

I know how to operate a vehicle

Harv
Knight of the Green Oval

Post by Harv » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:04 am

Shes in. Radio reception is remarkably better. Used to have to put the volume around 19 to hear anything. Now 8 is pretty loud.

Honestly not that bad to put it in. Only really so-so part is grabbing the wire on the inside of the firewall through the glove box. A grabber tool made it pretty easy.

Also replaced some other odds and ends. Everything else is pretty solid. Next up are the in and out hoses to the heater core before it starts getting cold out and still on the lookout for a replacement seat or some sheepskins.

'95 D1
'97 D1

Frobisher
RoverBaron

Post by Frobisher » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:39 am

Nice work on the aerial. I had no idea they could be straight.

D1driver had some seats available awhile back. I'll check with him and see if they're still around.
Greg

Harv
Knight of the Green Oval

Post by Harv » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:19 pm

Frobisher wrote:Nice work on the aerial. I had no idea they could be straight.

D1driver had some seats available awhile back. I'll check with him and see if they're still around.
Thanks. Finding manual seats seem to be the biggest hurdle.

I can dream.. :shock:

'95 D1
'97 D1

series guy
Prime Minister

Post by series guy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:13 pm

Those seats in the last photos are VW Vanagon seats.
Diesel powered engines and parabolic leaf springs. These are a few of my favorite things.

Harv
Knight of the Green Oval

Post by Harv » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:53 pm

series guy wrote:Those seats in the last photos are VW Vanagon seats.
Close. I think the Recaros in the Vanagon are the same ones as the MK2 GTI/GLI plus armrests.

The seats in the Overfinch are Recaro LXA's I believe.
'95 D1
'97 D1