Digging a deeper hole?

Moderators: freelander02, anderstd

Frobisher
RoverBaron

Digging a deeper hole?

Post by Frobisher » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:45 pm

Hopefully, I've not put myself into something deeper, so here goes.

I pulled the window ECU in order to fix my rear window inconsistencies. To preface, they worked occasionally, usually on start-up then not later. Sometimes, it's involved jiggling a wire going into the ECU, and voila. Pulling it out, I saw the widely-noted failing solder joint on the board. Re-soldered and re-installed. Right away, I had rear windows working. Right front window working but not the driver side now. I pushed the harness a little more firmly thinking they weren't absolutely seated and now nothing at all. Drat. Fuses are good. Power on the appropriate wires going in, but I can't seem go get the 12V coming out on the white/pink wire as it should be. Anyone have any ideas on other parts of the board to check? Should I consider re-doing the earlier fix? I'll be doing that whilst waiting to hear from anybody.

Interestingly enough, with the ECU pulled, all of a sudden my alarm light starts blinking sporadically when it hasn't done a thing for the past few weeks. Put it back in and it stops. Weird.
Greg

disco2newb
RoverViscount

Re: Digging a deeper hole?

Post by disco2newb » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:01 pm

Not much to offer here, aside from welcome to the club haha. Mine was a wiring nightmare for a bit, all corrosion issues.
Mark G
2001 Disco II SE - a work in progress

dcarr1971
RoverViscount

Post by dcarr1971 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:53 pm

Does Mike still have the circuit board from his D1's window ecu?
Dave C
1997 Disco 1 LE <- Stock (?!?) because it may need a block
1999 Disco 2 <-- Not leaking, just marking my driveway as its own since June 2010!
1996 Disco 1 <-- Crazy Red (sold) :cry:

Frobisher
RoverBaron

Post by Frobisher » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:24 pm

Frobisher: 1 Lucas: 0

So get this, I pull the window ECU again, and find it's a minefield of bad joints. That would be my friend's hawkeyes, not mine. It had more bad joints than a Cheech and Chong movie, but I digress.

It had several cracks at the harness input, probably from abuse in removal (both mine and the PO). After fixing a bunch, we tried it and got the rears to work. One more removal (by the way, unless you have a lot of excess wire available, just install it correctly and pull it back out - it's too much of a pain to shortcut it) a few more fixes, and all the windows work.

The next day, I go to lock everything manually, put the key in the driver's door and I hear the beautiful click of electricity going to all the doors. It turns out, the locks work now, too. So then I'm thinking, maybe that means the ignition is back to normal and no more hotwiring it. Bingo!

The rover's now back to "normal" and I'm ready to put in a rebuilt radiator Wednesday. Boom, baby.

@dcarr1971, I'm still going to have Mike get me one of his old ecus, just in case. You never know...

@disco2newb, I'm sure I'll be back in the bad electrics club later, but for now, I'm on hiatus.
Greg

jagspeed
RoverViscount

Post by jagspeed » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:18 pm

Well played.

Just think about how much money you saved by finding and fixing this yourself...
Sir Harold, Lord Jagspeed

I know how to operate a vehicle

Frobisher
RoverBaron

Post by Frobisher » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:09 pm

It was a definite sense of accomplishment, and I was totally stoked. I'm glad I didn't do anything desperate in the steering column while waiting.
Greg

jagspeed
RoverViscount

Post by jagspeed » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:12 am

Desperation can be a dangerous thing...
Sir Harold, Lord Jagspeed

I know how to operate a vehicle