The New Board

Would not want to look foolish in the cyber world.

Moderators: freelander02, anderstd

freelander02
Minister of Extracurricluar Affairs

The New Board

Post by freelander02 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:22 pm

Tyler - I understand why you upgrade to this new board - better control spammers from joining - but the theme, colors and entries I find difficult to read. Can the colors & such be changed? I certainly appreciate the work that goes into this, but things can be better. Yes, I owe you a better formatted logo for top of the screen.
John
1987 110 (Defender)
1980 Series III 109 ex-MoD FFR
2001 Discovery II (retired)
2002 Freelander SE (retired)

"I know how to drive."

discochelle
Roverdiva

Re: The New Board

Post by discochelle » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:45 pm

you computer nerds really need to get a life. Is there nothing better you can find to think of other than the issues of the board?
get it together john

freelander02

Post by freelander02 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:54 pm

Let someone disagree with me...
John
1987 110 (Defender)

"I know how to drive."

discochelle
Roverdiva

Post by discochelle » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:42 am

Well, I would disagree with you just to start a debate, but I have other things to tend to at the moment. I guess for the time being we will wait and see.
Michelle

niqdanger
RoverViscount

Post by niqdanger » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:13 pm

Im not particularly keen on this skin to the board. The main colors are fine, I dont like the section indicators, and those colors (at least on my computer) are a little close together when trying to find read/unread threads. (I'll give michelle credit for sticking up for her man though...) How goes the move to the regular site? I always forget this link and when I reinstall (which I do regularly) I have to search to find it.

I forgot though, doesnt phpBB let you pick what theme you want for your preference? If not, Im willing to try to make a few little icons for "old" and "new" threads. Maybe something more LR related? Or we can use pictures of Scooter. Smile = new messages, Frown = no new messages. :-)

Also, I found out that the fplrg.org site has changed status. Its now listed as "inactive" with a termination date of Oct 2007. Going to try contacting Network Solutions again and if I cant transfer it to John/Tyler/someone else, then I'll see if we cant snipe it the moment it becomes available. Unless someone already has it on their godaddy snipe list? I dont know who has the .com domain now.

freelander02

Post by freelander02 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:50 am

Yes, I know and agree; Tyler has done a lot of great work here. I like to think that thining can be better though.

I recenlty emailed Ben of fourfold. OVLR types that gracioulsly host our website. They are close to testing the forum concept on their servers. I think that means a few months away.

I hold fplrg.COM through godaddy. Can I have godaddy place a grab it order on .ORG for when it becomes available? Thanks for looking after that.
John
1987 110 (Defender)

"I know how to drive."

niqdanger
RoverViscount

Post by niqdanger » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:49 am

A few months? Damn.... When we say "getting close" here it means like a day or two. :-) Unless thats just what work does to me. We had "plenty of time" to install the servers we ordered at one point only to find out we were late getting them installed, and they hadn't arrived from the shipper yet. Because "plenty of time" really meant less then a week.

Check your godaddy control panel. You can set a domain name that isnt available and have it snag it when it does become available. You might see if you can grab it now since its "inactive" (Im not entirely sure what that means, if its paid for, it shouldn't be inactive). Godaddy can be pretty aggressive when they want to be. Worth seeing what they can do.

freelander02

Post by freelander02 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:08 am

For a total of $20 or so, fplrg.ORG is on backorder through godaddy. I think.
John
1987 110 (Defender)

"I know how to drive."

Scooter
RoverViscount

Post by Scooter » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:50 am

Ok, from the non-computer-type, what the hell was wrong with the original set up?????
Scooter
1972 SIII (getting rebuilt for the 4th or 5th time)
1995 Disco parts car
http://www.ltwrightknives.com

niqdanger
RoverViscount

Post by niqdanger » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:43 pm

You were on it? ;-)

Im guessing we upgraded versions of software. phpbb tends to get updated as they find holes/problems. Usually security related (you dont want non members spamming our message boards with "V1gr4" messages). So that made for a few changes. I kinda like most of this new lay out. Color wise and font wise I think it looks good. I just didnt like the read/nonread icons.