I'm back!

Moderators: freelander02, anderstd

no694terry
Bloody Peasant

I'm back!

Post by no694terry » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:00 am

Well sorta back. Won't be very active but yesterday I went and purchased a 2012 LR4 with 74k on the clock. She's a beaut. It's mainly the family truckster for now. I'm a bit worried though, start reading more into it and my initial research was that the Jag V8 was a good motor. Now I'm seeing more issues with timing chain. My D1 needed head gaskets and normal stuff but this repair would seem more daunting if required. And I'm fairly certain I had a case of the death wobbles yesterday on 79 by Mt. Nebo. Pulled over expecting to find a loose wheel or a squirrel stuck in one if the spokes. It hasn't come back yet after 70 more highway miles.

Her it is with my go-kart

series guy
Prime Minister

Re: I'm back!

Post by series guy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:49 pm

Good looking truck. If it has a steering damper that's where I'd start,
Old forlorn Rovers and parabolic leaf springs. These are a few of my favorite things.

no694terry
Bloody Peasant

Post by no694terry » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:36 pm

Day one - death wobbles
Day two - discover timing chain horror stories on internet
Day three - tailgate stop opening

Just like old times :lol:

no694terry
Bloody Peasant

Post by no694terry » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:55 am

Learned something new yesterday. On the LR4, when I got it, the rear tires were worn more than the fronts, and a different type. Both Michelin. The fronts maybe 9/32 and rears about 5/32. I've noticed a aggressive clunk/miss while accelerating since I got it. At first I thought I was getting misfires. I ran a bunk of injector cleaner and stuff but it seemed to run too well otherwise so I ruled out misfires. Then I thought maybe the trans was slipping, but it's got a ZF, was hard for me to believe it wasn't good. Then I started to consider the traction control. Last week I had it out in some heavy rain, and the clunking was very noticeable at all low speeds while on any percentage of throttle.

Yesterday I went and got a matching set of tires, all same type within 1/32 and the clunking has ceased all together. Which I'm excited about, cause I also got a new trailer to for trips. I installed shelving for carrying clothes, toys, etc for family trips to keep the cabin more comfy for the 6 of us.

series guy
Prime Minister

Post by series guy » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:46 pm

Excellent outcome. AWD vehicles are very particular about tire diameter. I've seen multiple problems arise from mismatched tires.
Old forlorn Rovers and parabolic leaf springs. These are a few of my favorite things.

no694terry
Bloody Peasant

Post by no694terry » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:03 pm

Got a funky rattlish click noise now at idle. Doesn't really sound like a timing chain, maybe a high pressure fuel pump. Less noticeable warmed up, goes away when you press throttle. I'm about to go in a swap chain tensioners to be safe. Anyone played with the jag 5.0 na ?